Unrequited Love


When people talk of love, it often confuses me. Maybe I'm too naive when it comes to it or maybe, it's because I read too much into that one, tiny word.
 I hope this sentence doesn't give an impression of me being heartless or unloved. I'd like to think that I am loved by my family and friends. But it's the whole soulmate thing and unrequited, eternal love that baffles me. How is it that people decide that they have met "their one" and stay so secure?

My definition of this kind of connection is from books and movies and to say that they are unrealistic, would be an understatement. What would I give just to get not one, but several signs from the universe (possibly an ominous prophecy which is kind of easy to decipher) leading to my one, true partner.
 
However, I know myself and because I do, I wouldn't be surprised if I wouldn't hesitate to dig deep and scrutinize each and every line, rendering the whole mystery of these signs, meaningless. More often than not, I find myself always reasoning and analyzing every possible word and situation I come across. While it does help me retain my persona of a highly intelligent human being (I'd like to think so), I'm not sure if this would be of any help when it comes to real emotions.

This is the main reason why I can relate to Sheldon Cooper on some level (no, I'm not as challenging as him). My obsession with rules and a defined set of ideals, makes it quite difficult to accept abstract concepts. Adding to all of this, my insecurities don't help me either.

But does all of this stop me from being a hopeless romantic, stuck to her fairytale-once-in-a-lifetime-always-blissful version of love? No.
I still cling on to that hope that someday, somewhere, a person would be unlucky enough to fall in love with me and who knows, I might get swept off my feet, too. Thinking about this gives me an odd sense of both content and dread and honestly, I don't mind feeling these emotions.
Paulo Coelho's quote does an excellent job at articulating the hope I feel.

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."
I'd like to believe that something bigger and better is on its way and I'm ready to welcome it.


Comments